For my passion project, my partner and I took old dance costumes that we had for a long time and recycled them into everyday things that dancers could use such as scrunchies and drawstring bags. The need for this project came from the realization that dance costumes have many more uses after being worn for one night, so we decided to turn them into something that we can keep using. At the beginning of this project, we wanted to make more products such as ice packs, heating pads, headbands and hair ties. However, we ran out of time and only ended up making about 15 scrunchies and 3 drawstring bags. After a long time of brainstorming for a name that would fit our company/business, we came up with Tulle Transformation. This name fits our company very well because tulle is a very popular material used to make costumes and we transformed them into new things. We have created a website that presents our products, tulletransformation.com. Once we sell the products, the proceeds will go to our dance studio to create a scholarship fund for those people who would like to dance but cannot afford the expensive tuition. I am extremely happy with how our final products turned out and hope that we can continue to create products to sell in the future. I am most proud of our idea, my partner Kate and I had never heard of anything like this before so we were in love with our idea. The idea of recycling something that so many people have, into more things that can be used over and over again makes my heart so happy. I was proud of our products as well and my ability to sew. Kate came into the project having background with sewing but I had only use a sewing machine a couple times, but by the end of the project I was able to set the sewing machine up and get started by myself. We both learned so much over the course of the this project and I am also proud of that. The fact that we had an idea that we wanted to bring to life and we actually made it happen, not to mention the amazing website and logo we made. Even though we only made two types of items that we wanted to, I still think of our project as a success because we created something professional that we are proud of and can be purchased.
With the 4 weeks that we had to work on this project, we got a lot completed. Looking back at the month, time managing was hard just because we had no idea how long each item would take to make and how many things we wanted to make. Since we have a lot more knowledge on the time frame for each piece, we can set aside time this summer to continue our business. Once Kate and I have made multiple products and have a lot in stock, we have considered selling our transformed products at little boutiques downtown or at our dance studio. We have put a lot of hard work into our products and website, now I think we need to focus on making more transformations and marketing in order to get popular and well known. Materials will not be a challenge for this project because thread is fairly cheap and we have enough costumes to last a while and extra fabric we might need will come from some of the proceeds from previous products. We had a lot of fun doing this project and will be motivated to continue it in the future.